[x264-devel] DT_TEXTRELs on x86_32

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 12:13:29 CET 2008

> I agree, that some TEXTRELs in an executable won't stop x86_32 running.
> But there are some users who still care about TEXTRELs and would choose
> that discouraged complexity even on x86_32 instead of simplicity.
>
> I'd like to kindly ask you to restore the old behavior on x86_32 or at
> least provide a way to activate the old macros upon need using an option
> or something. Please take into consideration my humble opinion, and don't
> treat it like whining of an unskilled user. I think most users don't know
> anything about TEXTRELs. However there are some idiots, like me who care.

Supporting PIC32 means a few things:

1.  Uglier asm code.
2.  Someone must be willing to maintain PIC32, and furthermore be
willing to add PIC32 to all new assembly functions written.  This is a
lot of work.
3.  Having to deal with all the people who inadvertently enable it, as
it costs 4-5% speed.

It was removed because nobody was willing to do 2), and we were sick
of 1) and 3).  It isn't just a case of "macros"--you need a lot of
special-casing to deal with the fact that PIC requires an extra
register... which as you may know are in rather short supply on
x86_32.

Dark Shikari