[x264-devel] Multislicing support

Mojtaba Hosseini Mojtaba.Hosseini at magorcorp.com
Tue Feb 12 18:13:44 CET 2008

>I finally had some time to look at your patch, but it seems that the
>archives of last year's mails has been erased and is not accessible
>anymore. Could you please forward me Lorren's mail you mentioned in
>the following mail? I also wanted to ask you some pointers about how
>to make the slice headers array a dynamically growing array, instead
>of a hard-coded 8 elements array as it is now.

Loren's original email from gmane:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.x264.devel/3167

The patch I emailed does dynamically growing array of NALs so if you
have a look here:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.x264.devel/3183

you'll see that you can use realloc to keep growing the number of NALs.

>Furthermore, I'm afraid I won't be able to merge our two patches, as
>they don't really do the same thing. My patch breaks a frame in
>multiple slices, forbidding both spatial and temporal prediction
>between different slices. If I followed your method, I wouldn't have
>any access to the prediction constraints.

If I'm not mistaken, once a slice is created, then other slices should NOT
predict from it. This is already taken care of in x264 (someone correct me
if I'm wrong). So the main difference between the two patches is the
criteria for starting a new slice: 1) slice size in bytes exceeding a threshold
versus 2) mbs in a slice exceeding a given number. I would expect the common code
to be plenty.

Mojtaba