[x264-devel] Regarding otion vectors in case of skip mode

mahesh k maheswarreddy.k at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 07:24:29 CET 2008

Dear all,

As per H.264 spec, In case of skip mode the motion vectors may be equal to
zero or predicted motion vectors.
 I derived the motion vectors in case of skip mode as per spec at decoder
side and its working fine as we were able to decode the standard bit stream
properly.
But the problem is at encoder side,  Can any one tell me how to handle this
at encoder side.
At present we start our search for motion estimation with the center (0, 0 )
(Assuming the MB at same position in previous frame as the best). Then we
decide the skip mode as folows,

if mv_x == 0 and mv_y == 0 , then we are indicating this as skipped mode.

Plz tell me when to make the MB mode as skipped at encoder side . Also
please tell me whats the advantage of spec to have motion vectors in case of
skipped mode.

With best regards,
Mahesh.