[x264-devel] I444 support

Neil Woodall vidsurfr at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 21:17:12 CET 2008

I think the issue with respect to JPEG 2000 is that wavelet
compression will work much better on natural scenes than a DCT based
CODEC. If you want lossless and no sticky artifacts (transmission
errors), then most feel that JPEG2000 is a better solution. However,
the difference in quality for a given bit rate is really determined by
the errors in transmission. If you use the full H.264 standard, you
can simply transmit the picture twice. The decoder will use the second
picture (slices or packets...I'm not sure without rereading) if errors
are detected in the first. The study I saw showed a 3:1 difference in
compression ratio, so even with double sending the data, H.264 would
be more efficient than JPEG2000 at a given quality level.

The other reason given for using JPEG2000 is that compression
artifacts look more natural. But this is only if the scenes are
natural and not text/graphics and you are at very high compression
ratios.

Neil