[x264-devel] Levels

Radek Czyz radoslaw at syskin.cjb.net
Sun Jan 6 06:08:45 CET 2008

Hi,

Is there really no good way to "fix" the level written to bitstream
after encoding is complete? That is, analyze VBV as you go, and when
video is over, write the correct level.

Even if this requires changes to file writing facilities of x264
executable, and even if it failed when writing to stdout (that is,
requires a seek), I think it would be a great addition.

Also (and alternatively): how about we try to analyze VBV at the
beginning of second pass? From theoretical bitrate scaling only. It
should be accurate enough to work.

Regards,
Radek