[x264-devel] motion vectors and threads

Christian Bienia cbienia at cs.princeton.edu
Fri Jan 18 19:06:21 CET 2008

Hi,

I think I might not have been entirely clear about one of my two questions.
Please let me explain what confuses me a little more:

> I'm trying to understand the data dependency between threads a little
> better. It seems x264_fdec_filter_row produces the shared data, and the
> motion block computation consumes it. What data exactly is exchanged
> between threads?

The point is that motion compensation needs the image data of the reference
frame. This, however, is an input which is available at program start. Why
the need to wait for the encoding output of the reference frame?

- Chris