[x264-devel] Memory leaks in encoder.c

Ralf Terdic contact at jswiff.com
Thu Jul 10 11:29:43 CEST 2008

On Friday 27 June 2008 01:29:39 Ralf Terdic wrote:
> On Friday 27 June 2008 01:06:45 BugMaster wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 00:35:44 +0200, Ralf Terdic wrote:
> > > valgrind shows some memory leaks in encoder.c, it looks like some
> > > frames are not freed. For one encoding thread (see [1]), this is easily
> > > fixed:
> >
> > This topic rises here from time to time (at least twice). Also there
> > is my patch which fix this problem. But x264 developers for some
> > reason didn't want to include it in trunk (may be because such memory
> > leaks don't so important for CLI version of encoder which is closed
> > after encode and so also frees this memory by process termination).
>
> Thanks for the patch -- I can't believe that this is seriously a reason not
> to accept a fix to such a big issue. If you use x264 as a library in a
> multithreaded environment, those leaks add up really quickly, making the
> library unusable.

Any statement from the committers? I understand that this issue is not
important if you use only one encoder instance per process, but what if you
use several instances inside a long-running process (let's say, 1000 encoding
operations inside an application server)? I don't see any reason why they
shouldn't be fixed -- please explain.

Thanks,
Ralf