[x264-devel] default level

Mathieu Monnier manao at melix.net
Tue Jul 15 19:51:13 CEST 2008

> Why would you say that?  16 refs is decodable for SD at 4.1,

But preferred level for SD is 3.0, which allows for 5 frames, and that's
roughly what apple tv does, if I'm not mistaken,

> and for HD resolutions at 5.1.

Loic did point out that nothing hardware decodes 5.1.

> The DPB size depends on the level.

Did I say anything else ?

You must understand that hardware manufacters will target a level and
adjust any hardware requirements to it as closely as possible, in order
to reduce the cost. A hardware decoder supporting SD at most, but 16
refs on SD, ought not exist ( I'm not affirmative, because there are
crazy people out there... )

Regards,

Mathieu