[x264-devel] default level

Loïc Le Loarer lll+vlc at m4x.org
Wed Jul 16 23:52:38 CEST 2008

Le mardi 15 juillet 2008 à 20:37:33 -0600, Loren Merritt a écrit:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Mathieu Monnier wrote:
>
> >>(The part that's not acceptable is actually implementing all the
> >>restrictions or enabling VBV by default.)
> >
> >What you presented the last time (level chosen solely on frame
> >resolution, frame rate and DPB size) still sounds good to me, and would
> >be better than to set 4.1 by default.
>
> Here you go.

I strongly support this patch, it will really help the average user to
produce streams which plays correctly on most decoders. I agree that it
can produce invalid streams because of a too big bitrate in some cases,
but I think it will be rare. And it is possible to detect the situation
and warn the user if this happens before or after the encoding,
depending on the arguments (I guess that it the --bitrate or
--vbv-bufsize options are used, it is possible to known in advance if
the MaxBR and MaxCPB restrictions will be met with a good probability,
correct me if I'm wrong, I don't understand well the rate control part
of the encoder).

I hope it can be applied.

Best regards
--