[x264-devel] Problem with SSSE3 instructions

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 09:43:36 CEST 2008

> I'm trying to build libx264 with visual studio 2005 and nasm 2.02.

This will cause problems, because Visual Studio will currently create
builds that crash because it does not support the stack alignment
method used to support the SSE2 deblocking routines.  This is because
there is no C standard method of aligning the stack, so a GCC-specific
method is used.  Patches are welcome for an MSVC version.

> But it tries to compile SSSE3 instructions, even if my CPU doesn't manage
> them.

This is normal.  x264 uses autoloading assembly, so it picks the
correct functions for your CPU on runtime.

> sad-a.asm:966: error: symbol `palignr' redefined
>
> if I change the code and delete this instruction (palignr), I have
> other errors of the same type.

This means your assembler is too old and doesn't support modern instructions.

Dark Shikari