[x264-devel] x264 svn HEAD SIGSEGV

Gunter Ohrner G.Ohrner at post.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Mar 3 11:09:09 CET 2008

(Damn, I sent the original mail using the wrong From: address. List admin,
please block the original if it's forwarded to you for approval. Thanks.)

Alexander Strange wrote:
> Your assembler is miscompiling pixel-sse2.asm, or something - pw_1
> (the first data defined) is supposed to be 16-byte-aligned, but it's
> only making it 2-byte-aligned, as far as I can tell from your gdb. Try
> installing a new yasm.

Yes, that seems to have been the culprit... I used the "build-deps" of the
Debian Multimedia package to set up the required build environment and
while the build-deps depended on nasm 0.98 (why is 0.98 required, Debian
also ships 2.02, could this also be used?) it did not conflict with
Debian's yasm package which seems to be "ancient": 0.5.0.

So the build scripts picked up yasm although nasm was available, and the
generated binary code was broken. Purging the old yasm package from the
disk and rebuilding solved the resulting binarie's crash.

Thanks!

Greetings,

  Gunter

PS: I hope the message threading works this time, I just had to idea to
use my news reader's "Reply To Mail" function which hopefully leaves the
Reference lines intact.