[x264-devel] GSoC: Improve Fast Inter Refinement and Adaptive Quantization

Joey Degges jdegges at gmail.com
Sat May 3 21:09:48 CEST 2008

Hello,

I will be working on google summer of code this summer. Below is an overview
of my project.

The goal of this project is to improve heuristics and decision-making for
inter refinement in order to improve efficiency given average encoding
settings. This will involve various early termination heuristics along with
methods of deciding which partition modes need to be searched while
performing minimal actual searching on them. I also plan to experiment with
different methods that can be used to improve psycho-visual optimizations
for mode decisions and quantization. This will include improving variance
adaptive quantization by experimenting with different methods which could be
used to weight the variance in order to select a more optimized quantizer.

You can usually find me in the #x264-dev channel if you want to talk about
the project. I promise to be more active in the coming weeks :]

- Joey Degges