[x264-devel] [patch] x264 --sar in mp4 container

vmrsss vmrsss at gmail.com
Fri May 16 22:05:02 CEST 2008

On 16 May 2008, at 20:32, Loren Merritt wrote:
> Patch ok if it's needed... but I failed to find any player that
> doesn't
> correctly output aspect ratio without the patch. Is it just that
> everything parses aspect from h264es and ignores container aspect?

Definitely Quicktime needs it to present the output with the required
aspect. Have you tried it? Certainly you're right that mplayer and vlc
read the aspect from h264es. (I have not tried any windows-based
software.) In fact, it was using QT (with Perian) that I noticed the
problem

My point however would like to go beyond the specific player: those
fields are set both by ffmpeg's mp4 muxer (though I don't think they
use gpac) and by mp4box; also, x264 sets the corresponding fields when
muxing mkv (plays well qith QT+perian). So I'd say that it would be
the correct behaviour for x264 to set them.

Cheers,
-vmrsss