No subject

Fri May 30 00:19:48 CEST 2008

with ReFrame > 5 or so.  I can fix this by reencoding with a lower
reference frame count, but that is not fast enough for real-time
transcoding. (I get ~18-19 fps or so.) I'm wondering if it is feasible
to do a pass over the input file and transcode to a lower reference
frame count (without a full decode/encode), and if it is, whether this
would feasibly result in a speed boost?  I'm not familiar with how the
reference frames are chosen in h264 (and I only have passing
familiarity with the basics of video encoding) so if someone could
give me a basic explanation I would appreciate it.

Curiously, on my test file, going from a ReFrame count of 8 to 3
reduces the file size about 1%; does this indicate that the optimal
setting is closer to 3 than to 8?  I looked at my other files and I
see ReFrame counts of 6-15 more often than 4 or 5.

--
Frederick Akalin
http://www.akalin.cx