[x264-devel] Default value for the --scenecut option causes heavy undesirable flood of I slices in active scenes

Vladimir Chernyshov vchernys at welho.com
Sun Nov 2 10:05:47 CET 2008

Well, that's simple - B-frames are coded with higher QP, and take less
space than either I or P frames. You can check the total bitrate reading
from the statistics in my posts.

On the other hand, I-frames are coded with much lower QP in the hope
they can be useful for predicting subsequent frames.

Thus with plenty of I- and P- frames the average quality is boosted,
which is against the idea of CQP VBR mode, and not desirable in
highly-active scenes.

regards,
Vladimir