[x264-devel] Compiling x264 for windows from linux

Ram prasad ramprasad85 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 13:03:19 CET 2008

Hi
I am running Fedora 9
I would like to compile x264 for windows so that i can compile VLC for
windows
I have installed mingw
i have downloaded the source code using git
i tried running
./configure --host=i586-mingw32msvc --disable-pthread --disable-avis-input
and i got this output
Platform:   X86
System:     MINGW
avis input: no
mp4 output: no
pthread:    no
gtk:        no
debug:      no
gprof:      no
PIC:        no
shared:     no
visualize:  no

then when i run make i am getting a big list of "strip: file format not
recognized" followed by many "undefined reference"s.
I used mingw's gcc, strip, ar, ranlib. finally x264.exe got created. but
when i ran it on windows it crashed with "Send error report" dialog box".
before I paste the error i would like to know if i am on the right track.
Please tell me how x264 is usually compiled on linux for windows (I have to
integrate it with VLC and use it on windows)
Thank you.