[x264-devel] Updated (and hopefully final) threaded slicetype patch

Mike Kazmier DaKaZ at zenbe.com
Fri Apr 3 20:53:10 CEST 2009

All,

Please find version 13 (lucky # 13) of the threaded slicetype patch.  This patch is overhauled to be more "windows" friendly (read: no use of usleep) and strictly use pthread_cond_wait/broadcast.  All known issues around broken decisions are resolved at this time.  As always, please feel free to beat up the patch, test it, etc - no pride in authorship here, we just want it to be the best it can be.

Note: the pthread_cond_wait version is significantly slower than the old v7 version of this patch on linux with usleeps.  By significant I mean we were getting 10 to 15% performance boosts previously, now we get 0 to 3% depending on settings.

It is my hope that the community will adopt this patch, and work to make it as efficient as the usleep version.  In addition, with the threaded slicetype in place, perhaps someone could tackle lookahead rate control for CBR with VBV?  Today we are total reactive in our VBV management for realtime/one pass encoding, and we'd love to see this be proactive!

Best,

--DaKaZ