[x264-devel] SCons support for x264

Mathieu Monnier manao at melix.net
Sun Apr 19 14:01:15 CEST 2009

>> SCons is written in Python, has a user-friendly syntax, and may be
>> easily extended. Its main advantage is in simplicity and in the
>> ability to add custom operations. It also have a very good
>> auto-dependency detection mechanism.
>
> GNU make does all that too, but without the snakes.

I wouldn't call GNU make "simple", nor would I say it has a "user
friendly syntax". But that would be trolling...

x264's makefile works, is maintained, and is easy to use (provided
somebody else writes it), so I don't see the point in adding a new build
system. I could understand project files for IDEs, but just a build
system alongside make seems redundant.

Regards,

Mathieu