[x264-devel] Is there any document about RC in x264

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 08:24:38 CEST 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 11:12 PM, kenter<kenter83 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, All:
>        I found the RC(Rate control) algorithm of x264 is hard to
> understand, and it's impossible to totally understand it by reading code. In
> order to familar about it, I've read the RateControl.txt in x264 package,
> however, It's just an overview and too simple to make practical effect. Is
> there any document or papers in detail about it? if so, can you give me a
> copy? thanks!

Any documentation that exists is likely horribly out of date
considering how much the ratecontrol has changed over the years.

If you don't count things like macroblock-tree and adaptive
quantization, 1/2-pass mode are not very different from libavcodec's
ratecontrol, albeit VBV is completely different, as is CRF.

If you have specific questions, you can ask in #x264dev on Freenode.

Dark Shikari