[x264-devel] compilation failure on NetBSD (ssse3 related)

Brad brad at comstyle.com
Wed Feb 11 02:58:15 CET 2009

On Tuesday 10 February 2009 20:16:25 hbent at cs.oberlin.edu wrote:
> My understanding of why NetBSD still uses binutils 2.16.1 is for
> ideological reasons; later versions are all GPL3.  I can roll my own
> binutils and use that to compile, but I thought it was worth noting to the
> list that there are modern distros that can't compile x264 in its current
> state.  OpenBSD appears to still be using binutils 2.15, which is even
> worse; I'm not sure what FreeBSD is using.
>
> Disabling assembly support entirely would be shooting myself in the foot,
> so I'm not going to go that route.
>
> -Henry Bent

The last version under GPLv2 is binutils 2.17 and that is the release where
SSSE3 support was added.

binutils 2.15 is not "worse" than 2.16,  either the SSSE3 support is there or
not and in both cases it is not.

FreeBSD also uses binutils 2.15. The OpenBSD plan is to eventually update to
2.17 but it just hasn't happened yet and binutils is not something you willy
nilly update with the number of architectures supported by OpenBSD.

Anyway, if this isn't going to be fixed upstream then OpenBSD will stick with
an older x264 snapshot until binutils 2.17 goes in. I am not ok with disabling
all of the assembler support.

believed to be clean.