[x264-devel] Codec usage with image sequence

Stephan Menzel stephan.menzel at gmx.eu
Wed Feb 18 13:57:04 CET 2009

Hi,

I am about to do some experiments with the x264 codec. To get an idea about how it works I refer to the x264 app source.

In my use case I intend to read raw images from a mmapped region. So I have raw image data of any kind somewhere and feed it into x264_encoder_encode(). I understand the first steps are opening the encoder context and setting parameters. After that x264_picture_alloc() and friends but from here I'm kinda stuck because the x264 app only reads yuv4mpeg2 and perhaps avi streams. I will have to deal with a sequence of raw images though. They can be converted and all but how is a good way to feed them into the picture_t structure? What does the codec expect there? It says "auto" in the doc but what kind of flexibility in terms of image formats does this imply? Can anyone give me some hints about how to proceed?

Thanks!

Stephan