[x264-devel] Codec usage with image sequence

Stephan Menzel stephan.menzel at gmx.eu
Thu Feb 19 11:41:04 CET 2009

Hi there,

> Yes, the first pointer is the Y plane, the second is the U plane, the
> third is the V plane.
>
> The format of YV12 is very basic; you should be able to trivially
> write a converter from RGB or another format of your choice.

Well, I'm on it. I found several RGB to VY12 conversion formulas and I'll try to use them. However, there's still questions left ;-)

If I look at this for instance:
http://www.fourcc.org/fccyvrgb.php

There it says it's a simple math.
The pointers to those planes are all *uint8_t, but the mem allocated for the 3 planes seems to differ. looking at x264_picture_alloc it appears to me, there's more mem for the first plane than for the rest. Yet I will have one value for each pixel so is the Y plane a wider data type or are they alll uint8 and I'm just interpreting the code wrong?

Thanks and greetings...

Stephan