[x264-devel] Accessing to NAL...

aviad rozenhek aviadr1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 09:27:06 CET 2009

2009/1/15 Hadi Hadizadeh <hadi.hadizadeh at hotmail.com>

>  Hi,
>
> I want to drop some output packets manually in x.264. As you know better,
> the output coded video data is stored in NAL units. Now, how can we access
> to these NAL units? Suppose that we want to remove some MBs in order to
> simulate the channel error.

from a non-media perspective, NALs are just blobs of binary data on a stream
or buffer.
they are either separated with a 00 00 00 01 prefix code or a (usually) 4
byte NAL length field

Also, where can I find the full structure of a NAL unit?

you can learn about the internals of NAL units by looking at the very simple
code of the h264bitstream
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/h264bitstream/>project
or reading the more complex code of the h264 decoder in ffmpeg