[x264-devel] constrained intra prediction

Phil Rutschman philr at modsystems.com
Sat Jan 17 01:43:37 CET 2009

I'm not following SVC very closely, but here's a reference to that
requirement in an article about it I was reading:

"Additionally, constrained intra prediction
has to be used in the reference layer such that no inter-predicted
samples are employed for intra prediction in the reference layer.
With these mandatory restrictions in SVC, each supported layer
can be decoded with a single motion compensation loop. The
complexity overhead that is required for spatial scalable coding
in SVC in comparison to single-layer coding is smaller than
in the scalable profiles of MPEG-2 Video, H.263, or MPEG-4
Visual."

[Performance Analysis of SVC
Wien, M.; Schwarz, H.; Oelbaum, T.
Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, IEEE Transactions on
Volume 17,  Issue 9,  Date: Sept. 2007,  Pages: 1194 - 1203 ]

Phil Rutschman <philr at modsystems.com>