[x264-devel] FPGAs and x264

Nathan Stratton nathan at robotics.net
Sun Jul 5 01:16:46 CEST 2009

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009, David Smith wrote:

> HI,
>
> I am currently working on a project to offload x264 functions to an FPGA.  I
> have read several papers recently that describe the offloading of
> x264_me_search_ref.   However, that is a large function to replicate in
> hardware and well beyond the scope of my project.

Does this make sense anymore? I would think that todays CPUs are to the
point where offloading just does not make sense anymore. We built our own
MCU in software because the cost performance numbers fell so fast on CPUs
it no longer made sense for us to build our own hardware.

><>
Nathan Stratton                                CTO, BlinkMind, Inc.
nathan at robotics.net                         nathan at blinkmind.com
http://www.robotics.net                        http://www.blinkmind.com