[x264-devel] patch for: problem to detect endianess on sparc/solaris

Måns Rullgård mans at mansr.com
Fri Mar 6 11:06:59 CET 2009

Chris Fensch <cf-x264 at fens.ch> writes:

> Hello,
>
>   the test by the configure script to determine the endianess of a
> system fails on sparc/solaris, since Solaris grep does not understand
> the '-q' option. Instead the GNU grep (called ggrep) on Solaris should
> be used. GNU grep is usually installed as part of the Sun Freeware
> package (http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/freeware/). I attached a
> patch to select a version of grep that understands '-q'.

/usr/xpg4/bin should contain a working grep.  Just add that to the
start of your PATH before running configure.

I think it is perfectly reasonable for the configure script to expect
a POSIX shell environment.  Hacks like this should be avoided when a
simple PATH setting makes things work correctly.

--
Måns Rullgård
mans at mansr.com