[x264-devel] Implementing Flexible Macroblock Ordering in x264

Christina Boyd christina.boyd at live.com
Fri Mar 6 19:20:02 CET 2009

Hi,

I am trying to implement FMO Type 1 (checkerboard pattern with only 2 slice groups) in x264.

I just used two slices per frame and then I wrote all white MBs into the first slice and

black MBs to the second slice. I also added the required information to the PPS.

To check the correctness of my implementation, I used JM (which supports FMO) but unfortunately

my first try led to a crash. I think the problem is related to the fact that when we use a

checkerboard pattern, always, all left and top neighbours are unavailable but during the encoding

process, x264 encodes MBs based on these neighbours while during the decoding process, these

neighbours are not available. But what do you think? Anyway, to implement FMO in x264, which steps

are necessary? Thanks in advance!