[x264-devel] Implementing Flexible Macroblock Ordering in x264

Christina Boyd christina.boyd at live.com
Sat Mar 7 06:59:36 CET 2009

I think x264 simply assumes that each MB has always a left and a top
neighbour except those that are in the first row/column of each slice.
In other words, it doesn't check the availability of neighbouring MBs
and it just uses the coordinate of each MB to determine whether it has
any left or top neighbour or not. I think this operation is done in function
"x264_macroblock_cache_load". But am I right? If so, in order to implement
FMO Type 1 (Checkerboard pattern), we should mark the left and the top
neighbours (also Topleft & TopRight) as unavailable. But how can we do so?

I tried to set "h->mb.i_neighbour = 0" in all cases (in "x264_macroblock_cache_load")
but unfortunately, it didn't work. Now, what do you suggest me? Thanks!