[x264-devel] non-existing PPS referenced

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Thu May 7 21:31:32 CEST 2009

On Thu, 7 May 2009, Jose M wrote:

> I am using x264 through ffmpeg. The encoder is configured to encode
> continuously at 25 frame gop, I and P frames (320x200).  It encodes fine for
> days, even weeks, but after a while enters a state where it stops writting a
> reference frame or maybe just a header.  If the result is played back, it
> gives the following error:
> "[h264 @ 0x80d79f0]non-existing PPS referenced" continously.

Missing a frame or a header would not cause that error. x264 only ever
uses one PPS id, so even if it somehow stopped writing PPSes, the decoder
would still use the one it read from the beginning of the stream.

> - Which is a "stable" snapshot that can be used.

There is no official snapshot which is any more stable than the latest git
checkout.

> - Has anybody found this issue before. Maybe is fixed. I could not find
> something like that on the newsgroup

No.

x264 != ffmpeg, so the first question is whether the same problem occurs
when you give the same options to x264cli.
Does it consistently occur after N weeks, or is it just rare but random?
Have you performed any test which would distinguish between an encoder
bug and a decoder bug?

--Loren Merritt