[x264-devel] A question about I-Frames and IDR-Frames

Michael Fink michaelfink at jettenbach-net.de
Sun Nov 29 23:29:06 CET 2009

Hi guys,

maybe you can help me. I'm just writing a thesis about video encoding
and I've a question about h264.

On this mailing list and on doom9 I've found several threads in which
the people are talking about I frames *and* IDR frames in h264. But I
can't understand what they mean by an I frame in the context of h264?

The specification (ITU-T Rec. H.264 11/2007) is only talking of I/P/B
slices. And it says an IDR frame is a frame which only consists of I or
SI slices. That's clear. But I can't image what an I frame should be? A
frame which is only intra-coded like in MPEG2? So in h264 that has to be
a frame which only has I slices, right? But that's exactly the
definition of an IDR frame?!?

*confused*