[x264-devel] x264 for ARM

David Conrad lessen42 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 22:42:07 CEST 2009

On Oct 20, 2009, at 3:23 PM, Fing Cmo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if you could give me pointers on where to RTFM.
> I am trying to get started in compiling and using baseline x264 for
> a very slow ARM7TDMI.
> I know it is a bad MCU option for video. I am trying to do this for
> a purely experimental
> purpose as well as research purposes. I intend to play with CIF
> image sizes.
>
> I was adviced to check with Yuvi for ARM, but I am not sure of how
> to directly
> contact him/her.

That's me; I'm usually on IRC too

>  Any C code examples for basic use of the x264 library you can point
> me to?
> Thanks a lot for your time,

For ARM7 there aren't really any special optimizations beyond adding
the appropriate -mcpu to your cflags, so you'll have to configure x264
with --disable-asm.

For libx264 usage documentation, x264.h is pretty much it. The x264
commandline is more than just an example program, but you could use it
as a reference in using libx264 or simply use it via pipes, depending
on what you need to do.