[x264-devel] Is it possible to dynamically change the quality mode using libx264

declan harrison harrison.declan at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 26 19:12:46 CET 2009

Hi

Im using x264 with ffmpeg to encode videos on the fly (realtime with minimum
buffering) in a proxy.  So I am working on a HTTP stream and therefore 1
pass encoding is the only option available to me.

My use case is that after encoding the video for say 10 seconds with a
"--crf" value of 22 another network element informs me that I need to
increase/decrease the quality of the video stream being sent to the client.
I then would like to change the effective "crf" value that I am currently
encoding the video stream.

So I need to know;
1.  Is this possible to do this using x264?
2.  Are there any additional headers, meta data that needs to changed e.g.
NAL parameter sets.

Has this use case already been covered somewhere in the archive?  I have
looked but couldnt see any mention of it.

I have posted a similar question on the ffmpeg-users mailing list to see
what needs to be done from that side and wanted to the same on the x264
side.

This is my first post to the mailing list so apoligises if I havent provided
enough detail. Please let me know if I need to provide more details

Thanks
Declan