[x264-devel] Question on the motion vector resultion

Erich Marth destinationcloud at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 7 17:45:09 CEST 2009

Hi there

I do have a question. I'm doing some research on the motion estimation
algorithm.
For each slice, every single macroblock is analyzed.
Based on the SLICE_TYPE, the analyzing is done on intra or inter
decisions.

In the P/B slice case
we do first calc the cost for all valid mv cases.
in the x264_macroblock_analyze method we try to find the best match.
But first we are going to predicted the needed motion vector from
available neighbours.
In H.264 the motion vector's resolution is able to do quarter pel
positions.
But the mvp which is calculated in the mv fetch
(x264_mb_predict_mv_16x16) method is of type integer?
Why? I mean if all neighboring macroblocks do have quarter pel positions
the current mvp shall be on a quarter pel position too? So why integer?

And why didn't I find any half/quarter pel estimation in diamond
search ... ?

thanks a lot
erich