[x264-devel] Win32 large-address-aware?

Jeppe Øland uxorious at acon.dezign.dk
Fri Sep 11 23:38:35 CEST 2009

>>> Then don't do that ;)
>>>
>>> Values over the default are mostly useless.
>>
>> I'm just running some tests on a short clip to see how things measure out.
>> (Even going for --rc-lookahead 100 ran out of memory)
>>
>> Whether or not I should do that long-term is no reason to keep the exe
>> limited if it works fine otherwise.
>> Tomorrow I might be compressing a 4K video with shorter lookahead, and
>> who knows how that would go ;-)
>
> Wait a minute, I just looked again at your original email, which I
> obviously didn't read carefully enough...
>
>>While testing the new mb-tree code, memory usage runs rather high :-)
>>I found that even on a 64-bit Windows, x264 is only allowed to
>>allocate 2 GB memory.
>
> Er.... everyone I've talked to who uses 64-bit Windows has had no
> issues with memory allocations over 2 gigabytes.

I guess I wasn't being specific enough either.
While the OS is 64-bit, I am actually running the 32-bit executeable.

To make doubly sure, I just downloaded the latest 32-bit build from
http://x264.nl/, and it runs out of memory at 2 GiB.

I'm sure the 64-bit version will work fine - but a lot of GUIs wrap
the 32-bit version regardless of OS.

Regards,
-Jeppe