[x264-devel] Hyperthreading

Dennis Munsie dmunsie at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 17:28:59 CEST 2010

Hi --

Does x264 have any support for detecting that it's running on a
Hyperthreaded enabled CPU and to only spawn threads for each real CPU? I've
noticed that on our quad core i7s, we've seen a total of 9 threads when
doing slice based threading (for low-latency support) when encoding a 720p
clip.  Since the load on the machine appears to be 50% overall and it
doesn't get slower when we turn off HT, it appears those extra threads are
unable to get the resources to actually run in parallel with the 4 other
threads.

I am using x264 as a library in my own program -- so it may be that I've
just missed a configuration option that I should've set.

Thanks!
dennis