[x264-devel] avoiding copying x264_picture_t

Dennis Munsie dmunsie at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 22:17:59 CEST 2010

Hi --

I have a question about the x264_picture_t that gets passed into
x264_encoder_encode() -- would it be possible for the encoder to not copy
the YUV buffer and work off the pointer to the YUV buffer directly?  I
already have a mechanism in my code that would insure that the YUV data that
I provide in the x264_picture_t could stay around until the library
indicates that it no longer needs that picture.  I'm just not using it at
the moment because x264 copies the frame data.  Even if this required
additional restrictions on the picture that is passed in (such
as alignment), I could work those into my program.

I don't know if this would yield a noticeable improvement in encoding speed
or not -- it may have been that this has been looked into in the past and
there wasn't a clear win.  If that is the case, my apologies in advance.

Thanks!
dennis