[x264-devel] Reference picture selection

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 18:17:35 CET 2010

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 4:32 AM, Arindam Biswas <send2ari at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for your response. I will defenitely try out periodic intra
> refresh.
>
> I am streaming 480P and 720P video over wireless and using vlc media player
> at client end for playback. I have configured x264 keyint max 15, keyint min
> 5, and 8 slices per frame.

Why not use a slice size rather than a static number of slices per frame?

Larger frames are more likely to have packet loss, so it makes sense
to try to localize the error.

Additionally, do note that libavcodec-based media players can only
decode frames up to MAX_SLICES in size, which is defined somewhere
around libavcodec.

> In the normal condition I am getting 5% packet loss and I am using rate
> adaptation and
> retransmission to recover from that.
> But in case of interference the loss is going as high as 50% and I am seeing
> stall, artifact in vlc media player and some times vlc player just gives up.
> After checking wireshark packet capture I found consecutive 5 to 10 frame
> loss in case of interference. This is the reason why I was thinking about
> dynamic reference picture selection based on client's feedback. Will this
> technique help in this kind of scenario?

Maybe, but I'd think it would be a better idea to try to recover from
the failure quickly rather than keeping around a dozen reference
frames and having to accept a full roundtrip latency time to modify
the encoder's behavior.

Dark Shikari