[x264-devel] core dump on solaris 10/space with x264-snapshot-20100112-2245

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 17:48:18 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Chris Brookes <cbrookes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Been trying to get X264 running on Solaris 10 (sparc) without any
> success. Initially I was trying to covert random files through ffmpeg
> and it was always coredumping in the x264_mb_encode_8x8_chroma
> function. I eliminated ffmpeg and started using the x264 binary
> directly, ./configure --prefix=/nslcm/system --enable-pic
> --enable-shared  and it cores in the same place. I have tried various
> revisions up to 20100112-2245. Below is an example command line and a
> sun pstack/pmap from the core files.

Ugh, SPARC; could be a miscompilation issue, since that's yet another
platform that gcc is usually completely untested on.  It's slow
because the CPU is extremely slow, of course.  Doesn't help that
there's almost no asm for it either (and you didn't compile whatever
little there was).

Can you post a backtrace with line numbers?  Without line numbers it's
a bit hard to debug anything.  I'd suggest using --enable-debug and
then adding back the optimization flags that resulted in the crash.

Dark Shikari