[x264-devel] libx264.so.98 crash

r a erect_i_kus at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 25 21:08:56 CEST 2010

OK so I installed ffmpeg and relevant dpendencies.

libx264 crashes, I looked up what I could online and didn't see an answer.  So I
downloaded a src.rpm, compiled it with --enable-debug and used gdb.

The segment violation occurred due to bitstream.h, line 84.  The parms passed
had a null value so hence the memory error.  It's been a while since I did real
coding, and after 8 hours or so figured that it would
be best to pass this on to developers familiar with the code.  (One variation I
did try, with no success, was to disable asm optimizations just in case gcc was
buggy with creating inline code).

FYI I am using openSUSE 11.2:

linus:~ # uname -a
Linux linus 2.6.31.12-0.2-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2010-03-16 21:25:39 +0100 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I recently did an install from scratch, so don't think there are issues with
inconsistent versions of gcc, etc.

I could provide more info, but do not think it would be relevant here.  The
function in bitstream.h is called 4 different times, but fails the first time it
is called.

As an aside, I am not totally satisfied with openSUSE -- I think I have spent
too much time trying to get this, codecs, etc to work.  A lot of help/info I
have looked at on forums seems to come from people using Ubunto (sp?) -- any
comments?  Is there a way to get the same utilities working for openSUSE?  I
want to use rpms.

Thanks in advance,
erect_i_kus at yahoo.com