[x264-devel] Degrading video quality over time

Jan Willamowius jan at willamowius.de
Tue Jun 1 16:35:27 CEST 2010

Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Jan Willamowius <jan at willamowius.de> wrote:
> > Could it be that the estimate how much bitrate x264 is currently
> > producing is wrong (buggy ?) and it just starts to reduce the bitrate
> > too early in my case ?
>
> ABR is generally not suitable for streaming.  But either way, the most
> likely answer is that you are passing x264 invalid timestamps,
> resulting any bitrate-based ratecontrol giving invalid results.

While that was true, i_pts was always 0, setting it to the frame
counter didn't help. Does x264 have to have a value in i_pts ?

But I found that the settings in i_fps_num was too high and that screwed
up the bitrate calculations. After that was fixed, video quality
improved quite a bit.

So you were right about me confusing x264. I just did it in a different
way. ;-)

Thanks,
Jan

--