[x264-devel] [Intro] GSoC Macroblock adaptive frame-field interlacing

Simon Horlick simonhorlick at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 19:27:46 CEST 2010

Hi,

My name is Simon Horlick-Loach [sjhor] and I'm going to be writing
MBAFF interlacing support for Google summer of code. I'm due to
graduate this summer with a degree from the University of Manchester,
UK in computer science and mathematics.

Currently x264 supports interlaced encoding with MBAFF frame structure
where each macroblock pair is encoded as interlaced. This project will
implement full adaptive interlacing support where macroblock pairs are
encoded as progressive or interlaced depending on their content. This
should greatly improve compression for anyone using interlaced
encoding.

You can view my progress on the wiki page at:
http://wiki.videolan.org/SoC_2010/Macroblock_adaptive_frame_field_interlacing
or if you're interested in following techical details I'll be posting
weekly journal updates on http://simonhorlick.blogspot.com. If anyone
has any questions I can be contacted on #x264dev my nick is sjhor.

Regards,
Simon Horlick-Loach