[x264-devel] A warning about x264_picture_t initialization

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 07:36:06 CEST 2010

To all x264 library users,

It appears that there has been an implicit, but undocumented
requirement until now that all the fields of x264_picture_t be
initialized to valid values by the calling application (in the case
that x264_picture_alloc is not used).  This requirement has been
satisfied, usually, by memsetting it.  However, this is not guaranteed
to work for all future cases, as all-zero may not always be a valid
initial state in future versions.  Thus, we have added
x264_picture_init() which can be used to initialize a new
x264_picture_t to valid default values (for the data outside of the
actual image data).  You still have to load your pointers, stride,
colorspace, and i_plane values in, of course.

We strongly recommend that calling applications not using
x264_picture_alloc switch to using x264_picture_init.  Applications
using x264_picture_alloc need not change anything; alloc now calls
init internally.

Dark Shikari