[x264-devel] Cycles for X264

Zubair Ali Khan zkhan at d2tech.com
Tue Jun 8 21:00:27 CEST 2010

Thanks Jason
Ultrafast gets about 3x improvement over fast. What are the trade offs.
I guess video quality right?
Zubair

On 06/08/2010 02:33 PM, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 7:32 AM, Zubair Ali Khan<zkhan at d2tech.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am running X264 on ARM Snapdragon processor (similar to Cortex-8). It
>> seems to be taking quite a bit of cycles.
>>
>> For example, each call to encode will consume average 100 million cycles,
>> limiting the frame rate to 5 frames per second on this processor. My
>> expectation was average 15 million cycles per call. Am I expecting too much
>> or is it some configuration issue?
>>
> Cortexes, despite being fast for an ARM, are in fact not very fast
> compared to desktop processors.  You may have to use "ultrafast" or
> "superfast" to get reasonable performance.
>
> Dark Shikari

Zubair Khan
Director of Technology

SB Office: 104 W Anapamu St, Suite J, Santa Barbara, CA 93110
MA Office: 105 Woodside Rd, Sudbury, MA 01776
Phone:     +1-805-564-3424 x 420
Fax:       +1-805-966-2144
Skype:     d2_zkhan
Yahoo:     d2.zkhan