[x264-devel] The size of search area in reference frames

Radek Czyz radoslaw at syskin.cjb.net
Mon Jun 14 08:58:35 CEST 2010

On 14/06/2010 3:48 PM, john sisi wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. Since moving objects can move further over a
> larger interval of time, so a larger search area must be used for
> motion estimation. The larger the search area, the higher the
> computational complexity.

Yes, but only in case of full search.
Any sane motion search algorithm doesn't have a concept of "search area"
at all. It can only have a maximum vector size allowed but increasing
this value has no effect on complexity (for values large enough).

 > But as you mentioned, x264 always uses a fixed window size (or maximum
 > search range or vector size) on all reference frames which I think is
 > not an efficient strategy. But am I right?

Full search could be the definition of inefficiency :) so of course. But
nobody uses it so it doesn't matter.

Regards

  In other words, assuming that the size of