[x264-devel] VBV variations for HTTP streaming

Alex Jurkiewicz alex at bluebottle.net.au
Tue Jun 22 09:02:15 CEST 2010

Hi,

When creating files suitable for internet streaming (eg, Youtube) I
typically configure VBV like this:
--vbv-maxrate 100 --vbv-bufsize 100
Where maxrate is set to the minimum network speed supported, and bufsize was
set so that playback would begin within a second or so (start delay =
vbv-init * maxrate/buffer)

But this is an alternate configuration:
--vbv-maxrate 100 --vbv-bufsize 500 --vbv-init 0.2

I can't think of any reason why this second form would be worse. If I was
encoding for a hardware decoder with a fixed buffer it would be problematic,
but for a software decoder it should be fine.

Am I missing something, or would it be better to encode all my files with an
enormous buffer and recalculated init?

Alex