[x264-devel] 1080p/60FPS, Purevideo low CPU but it's only non-choppy on Baseline [+VIDEO EX.]

Michael Menegakis arxeio at gmail.com
Wed May 12 15:34:52 CEST 2010

When encoding (through the MeGUI but also Avidemux frontends) a
1080p/60FPS/128kbit VBR AAC source, CPU on decoding on Media Player
Classic and Windows Media Player seem quite 'accelerated', since  they
don't reach more than 10%. However, only if I reach Baseline Profile
on encoding-time does it not being choppy on decoding [this manifests
quite erratically, e.g. 3 seconds smooth, 1 second no sound and
ultra-fast etc.].

(it occurs on animation tuning or not, on auto Level or not, on
Mainline or High profile, on low presets of encoding options or high
presets]

[i can not test it without hardware accel since it's quite slow
otherwise and it's choppy by mere cpu deficiency]

VIDEO example: http://www.www0.org/player/fail1.mp4

It's on an NVIDIA 8600M GT. NVIDIA claims it fully supports H.264
though wikipedia is blurry about it. In any case shouldn't the CPU get
the slack? [currently it stays to lower than 10%].

I suspect either the drivers or the rest software.