[x264-devel] Question on X264

Steven Walters kemuri9 at gmail.com
Mon May 31 04:53:06 CEST 2010

>> In addition, I try to use "./configure --enable-debug" and then compile the
>> source code. But the compiling didn't success because
>> x264_VERSION cannot be assigned value.
>> Thank you very much!
>
> Install git.
>
> Dark Shikari

You do not need git installed to compile x264 from the source, having
git only allows getting revision information if the source was
attained through the repository, it is meant to still work without
git.

check your config.h that was generated by your ./configure and if
X264_VERSION is not defined within it, then there was an issue with
trying to execute version.sh within ./configure or writing its output
to config.h itself

try manually doing   ./version.sh >> config.h   after you do your ./configure
and see if X264_VERSION is then defined within config.h - if it is
still not there, your environment has some issues.
however, there normally shouldn't be any of this sort of issue on
ubuntu so I already suspect your environment has some issues.