[x264-devel] External motion vectors in x264

Marco Munderloh munderl at tnt.uni-hannover.de
Tue Nov 9 22:21:16 CET 2010

On 09.11.2010 21:15, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 12:01 PM, Marco Munderloh
> <munderl at tnt.uni-hannover.de> wrote:
>>> Can you explain your particular use-case in more detail?
>>> Additionally, how are you going to signal partition types and
>>> macroblock modes?
>>
>> At the moment I just want to reuse some already calculated motion
>> vectors from a preprocessor to reduce computing time. For the decision
>> on what macroblock mode and partition to use I still want to use the RD
>> optimizer of x264. To get motion vectors for every partition I'm
>> thinking of smart interpolating them from the known motion vectors which
>> are on a sub macroblock level.
>
> What about reference frame indices?  Perhaps more importantly, what
> about frame types?  You don't know before running x264 which frames
> will be P and which will be B, so you can't possibly have computed the
> motion vectors for the appropriate frametype combinations unless you
> just computed all possible motion vector pairings.

For now, I want to use P frames with one reference frame only. Maybe
later, the motion vectors can be extrapolated assisted by the known
motion to support more than one reference frame. B frames might also be
supported later by inverting and realigning the motion vector for p+1.
Just to make sure: this is not about coding efficiency.

Marco