[x264-devel] using x264 in our encoding farm for free video distribution on out web site

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 18:03:08 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Sareyka, Julian
<julian.sareyka at brnet.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am working for a german broadcaster who puts a lot of his video productions on his website for free. We would like to switch from our commercial encoding server to a linux server implementation with x264.
> Reading the post "Announcing commercial licensing for x264" (http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/x264-devel/2010-July/007508.html) and the latest annoucements of MPEG-LA, I understand that distributing video encoded with x264 would be free for us. What about using x264 on our servers. We do not resell them, just use them for our site. Is this free too? Or do we have to deal with MPEG-LA here?
>
> Thank you for help.
> Best regards.
>
> Julian

x264 is available under the GPL, which gives you the freedom to use it
however you want with no restrictions whatsoever.  Restrictions only
apply to the distribution of x264 itself -- not the distribution of
content, or the use of x264, or the use of that content.

Dark Shikari