[x264-devel] x264 on x64

Steven Walters kemuri9 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 01:15:23 CET 2010

the patch i have is for r1745, it can be found at
http://kemuri9.net/dev/x264/patches/experimental/x264_intel_support.diff
for the time being.
It will probably not apply cleanly against the latest repository.

The patch is designed to use the same build system that currently
exists, so there's no .sln or .vcproj,
instead it requires MSys to have been initiated from the x64
environment batch script that Intel's compiler installs along with
itself.

As i mentioned previously, I have found an issue where recent versions
of pthread-win32 crashes when compiled with 64bit ICL.
When i built x264 r1745 with ICL, i ended up using an old version of
pthread-win32 which didn't exhibit crashes in use
- i can not remember how old of a version pthread-win32 it was now though.

If you don't need threading then this is not a problem.

I have not looked at Direct264 but it may be using the inline asm that
x264 has a nontrivial amount of.
MSVC also does not support inline assembly in 64bit mode (while ICL does).